Summer at Willow Lake
Mira (July 2010)
Published in 2007
- What are some of the feelings evoked by the phrase “summer camp”?
- Have you ever been to camp? If so, what are some of the memories you have of that time? Were there friends? Rivalries? Romances?
- Olivia has some unfinished business leftover from her less-than-happy childhood. How do her family and friends help and/or hinder her efforts to come to terms with the things that happened?
- Do you think Olivia handled her parents’ divorce in a healthy way? How did it affect her relationships with men as an adult?
- As children, Olivia and Connor were from different worlds, yet at camp, they bonded. Why do you suppose they were drawn to one another?
- How did Olivia’s body image as a teenager affect her sense of self esteem? What do you suppose caused her to transform herself as a young woman, and how did this affect her career choice?
- She’s had two broken engagements. In your opinion, what caused those relationships, and the one with Rand, to fail?
- Discuss some of the ways Connor’s childhood shaped that man he is now. Why do you suppose he’s still single?
- Olivia discovers something about her father’s past, and it changes the way she sees him. Have you ever thought you knew someone, only to discover something completely surprising?
- What do you suppose the future holds for Olivia and Connor?