The Summer Hideaway
MIRA (March 2010)
- The book opens with a snapshot of a day in the life of a military med-evac unit. Ross Bellamy keeps two things close after the incidentâ€“the image of the old man and his grandson, and the contact card given to him by Florence Kennedy. How do these two things come into play later in the story?
- What is your first impression of George Bellamy? Does he remind you of anyone in your life? Can you create a really specific mental picture of your own grandfather? What did his voice and laughter sound like? How did he dress? What were some of his quirks? What did you enjoy doing with him?
- What’s your first impression of Claire Turner? Did you sense something “off” about her right away? What details gave you insight into her situation?
- If you were ever forced to disappear to save your own life, what specific steps would you take to make it happen? What is the fantasy element of doing this? What are the drawbacks?
- How is being a private care nurse for the terminally ill a perfect job for Claire? What are some of the issues she might face as a result of having this job, year in and year out? What are some of the hidden blessings?
- Why does Claire feel so v