for reading groups
October 09, 2009
A list of things to talk about while you’re eating cookies and talking about Lakeshore Christmas. Note–some of the questions might be spoilers. I don’t think so, but if spoilers drive you crazy, don’t read this until after you’ve read the book:
1. What is Maureen’s role in her family, and how does that shape who she is?
2. Have you ever changed your dreams like Maureen did when she gave up on acting?
3. If you were the Havens, how would you have raised Eddie? Do you think they did the right thing by keeping him on the road?
4. What are your thoughts on Maureen’s inability to trust men? Do you think her experience in Paris gives her reason to doubt all men?
5. If you were Daisy and you knew that one of those men, Logan or Julian, was carrying an engagement ring, who would you hope was going to propose? The man who holds your heart or the father of your child?
6. If you were Maureen, a dedicated librarian, how would you have reacted to the budget cuts and the imminent closure of the library? What would you have done?
7. Do you think that Maureen should have taken Mr. Byrne’s offer and given Cecil the main role in the play if it meant saving the library?
8. Maureen’s favorite time of the year is Christmas. What is yours? Do you get excited about the upcoming holidays or is it overwhelming?
9. What do you think Jabez’s role in this book was? What purpose did he serve?
10. Have you ever had a life altering experience like Eddie had the night he crashed his van?
11. What are your fondest memories of the library?
12. What are some of your favorite traditions during the holiday and where did they come from?