Tapioca changed my life.
June 13, 2007
I made a fresh peach pie the other day. Most of my pies turn into fruit soup, but the tapioca saved me. Here’s the recipe:
Fresh Peach Pie
- 4-6 sliced peeled peaches
- 3/4 cup sugar + 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Minute Tapioca
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 pkg. (15 oz.) ready-to-use refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- beaten egg white or apricot glaze
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- milk and coarse sugar to brush on the top
Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix peaches, sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Let stand 15 minutes.
Lay the bottom crust in a pie plate and brush with beaten egg white or apricot glaze. This will keep the bottom crust from getting soggy. Fill with peaches; dot with butter. Cover with remaining pie crust, brush with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
Place a cookie sheet under the pie in the oven to drips. 45 to 50 minutes or until juices form bubbles that burst slowly. Cool and serve plain or with vanilla ice cream.